Benefits of the New CMS Patient Health Data Regulation
The Interoperability and Patient Access final rule (CMS-9115-F) requires healthcare providers and insurers to unlock patient health data from their various systems to drive interoperability and allow for the unimpeded data exchange across the entire healthcare ecosystem.
The overall benefits of a future state in which all patient health data is liberated will have an extraordinary impact on all healthcare practitioners and recipients. How will the new Patient Health Interoperability & Access regulation positively affect the healthcare delivery relationship? Here are a few benefits.
How Providers Will Benefit
- It will give physicians, nurses, and all healthcare providers greater access to a much larger universe of information to improve acute treatment and long-term wellness programs.
- The ability to integrate Electronic Health Records (EHR) with all patient touch points will provide a greater visualization of overall health and create greater patient engagement and satisfaction.
- The diagnostic capability will be improved by the ability to query knowledge from greater datasets and allow for other advances like the application of AI technologies more effectively.
- The cumulative effect will be more time to focus on patient care.
How Payers Will Benefit
- Enabling the interoperability of patient data will lead to more efficient reimbursement processes under more uniform data sharing architecture.
- It will improve member/payer engagement as members take more control of their healthcare requirements and payers can respond to those changes more efficiently.
- The development of self-service web portals will be more patient-specific by understanding and taking into account patient history. Medical Passports can be enabled without compromising HIPAA privacy restrictions.
- It will allow Payers a greater role in a member’s complete healthcare lifecycle process.
How Patients Will Benefit
- It will put each individual in better charge of their Healthcare Lifecycle.
- Enable coordination of personal health programs for both acute and long-term well-being.
- Accelerate telemedicine to a more effective platform.
- Create a better peace of mind for our own health destiny. After all, we are all patients!
Now let’s be clear, an undertaking such as this one (driving interoperability and allowing for the unimpeded data exchange across the entire healthcare ecosystem), with all its great potential waiting at the end of the process – as we outlined above – invariably presents a list of challenges. However, there is help.
Ad Victoriam’s Health Data Program offers a prescription for success. It provides a project framework with an organizational structure to align objectives, stimulate innovation, and to ensure the proper execution of a program strategy to realize the incredible opportunity that is presented. And as with every journey, it all begins with a first step. We encourage you to watch AdVic’s CMS Patient Health Data Regulation webinar series to get an overview of the new federal regulation, plus a deep dive into technology solutions for complying with the regulation.
Then, talk to our dedicated team to discuss the possibilities.
Health Cloud: The New Payer Data Model
Connect Care with Salesforce Health Cloud